History : Mar-Apr 2019
CAPTURING THE MOMENT Homolle’s team took this photograph on May 30, 1893, when the statue of Kleobis (above) first emerged, largely intact, from the ground. ON MAY 30, 1893, Théophile Homolle documented an exciting discovery in his excavation journal: “We found the early statue of Apollo (?), which lacks only its feet. The legs have been preserved down to the knee. The statue was found to the NW of the Athenian Treasury, very nearby, set into a modern wall and resting on the polygonal wall that heads off from the Sacred Way to the SE of the Treasury (covered in inscriptions at this point) and continues westward.” Next to the en- try, in the margin, the name Kleobis is written in pencil, correcting the initial identification of the statue. The statue’s base, identifying the sculp- tor, appeared on November 30, and the next year, on May 28, 1894, the statue of Biton was found. In Greek myth Kleobis and his twin brother Biton were so strong that they were hitched up to the chariot of their mother, a priestess of Hera. For five miles, the brothers pulled the chariot to Hera’s temple in Argos. FINDING THE FIRST TWIN JOURNAL DE LA GRANDE FOUILLE DE DELPHES (1892-1901), PAGE 31. DELPHES 2-C DPH 23, ARCHIVES EFA N.C ./ÉCOLE FRANÇAISE D’ATHÈNES. MINISTRY OF CULTURE AND SPORTS/EPHORATE OF ANTIQUITIES OF PHOKIS PAGE FROM HOMOLLE’S DIARY OF THE EXCAVATIONS. THE DIARY DETAILS THE WORKS CARRIED OUT BETWEEN 1892 AND 1901, LISTS THE FINDS, AND INCLUDES CORRECTIONS AS NEW DISCOVERIES WERE MADE.